In searching for inspiration for writing this series on lupus awareness month, I’ve thought back to many of the things that I have experienced, and many of the things I have learned that have helped me cope. I suppose that is really one of the things that I have to be most grateful for, lupus has taught me more in my 36 short years , than some people would ever learn in a lifetime!
Today’s tip has to do with hospital trips. As lupies, we unfortunately have more than our share of doctor and hospital visits. Since I was young I’ve been hospitalized every year , at least once. Most years , many more times. A lot of the time it would be a rush job, and we would leave the house snatching this, socks, toothbrushes, extra underwear, items flying through the air in hopes that they would reach the suitcase as we ran for the van , and out the door. Finally , after lots of visits where we ended up with no pajamas, or shampoo, we decided we’d start packing me a “just-in-case-bag” . You know , (Just in case I have to hurry to the hospital!) . 😀
Now everyone’s just-in-case bag will be different, depending on what YOU need when you go, but here is a typical list of the things I pack:
Things to Pack Just in Case
1. One extra set of clothes for each day you plan to be gone , five is good ( if you’re like me , you DON’T want to live in the heinie -showing hospital gowns)
2. In gallon zip-loc bags ,roll your underclothes and socks for each day( I like fuzzy character socks!)
3. A toiletries bag with your favorite shampoo and bar soap ( cause let’s face it, hospital brand soaps SUUUUUCK!)
4. One word – DEODORANT – ‘ NUFF SAID.
5. A really, really, really, REALLY comfortable nightgown. This is in addition to the clothes outlined in line 1.
THIS is for sleeping. The I’ve had-thirty-different-kinds-of-blood-tests-sleeping.
6. Breath mints, gum, jolly ranchers, blow-pops, ANYTHING to keep your mouth from feeling like the Sahara.
7. HAIR STUFF– Yes, I said, “stuff”. A hair brush, gel, a comb, bobby pins, an elastic band, hairspray, whatever you need to tame your hair into some semblance of normal and NOT the Creature from the Black Lagoon, trust me, you will be GLAD you did this.
8. Chap-Stick- or Blistex or Carmex or whatever you use to slather on your lips, heed me when I say……..”BRIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNG IIIIIIIT” your lips will be eternally grateful, I promise.
9. Art paper, pencils or a book to read, and yeeeees, I know, people have tablets now (don’t get ahead of me!) for that kind of thing, but there is just something soothing about the feel of REAL paper!
and last but not least……
10. Your tablet. For messaging, checking your e mail, instant messaging, and yes even keeping thousands of books on your Kindle app, it’s hard to beat Amazon.
So I hopefully this will give you some ideas to pack up your bag , BEFORE your next rush-job hospital visit! Love you guys!
So there ya’ go, my go – to list of must-have things for hospital visits . I hope you guys find it helpful. But hopefully , NOT in the near future, ya’ know…………………lol 😀